Dentists for Africa was able to establish eleven dental units in Western Kenya since the year of 1999. Our dental units are usually attached to hospitals belonging to different Franciscan Orders. The cooperation with the Franciscan Sisters allows us to get in contact with patients and increases the acceptance of our organization throughout the rural Kenyan population. The Franciscans organize mobile treatments in remote areas that are inaccessible to us otherwise. They also provide all necessary facilities needed for the dental units as well as accomodation for the volunteers.
Our dental units are located at the following places throughout Kenya:
- St. Joseph's Hospital Nyabondo, P.O. Box 341, Sondu – 40109
- Hospital of Kasarani, Little Sisters of St. Francis, Kasarani Region House, P.O. Box 62676, Nairobi
- St. Anthony Health Centre, P.O. Box 3729, Nakuru
- Christamarianne Mission Hospital, Kisii
- Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph, Asumbi, P.O. Box 669-40200, Kisii
- St. Elizabeth Hospital, P.O. Box 127, Mukumu, Kakamega – 50100
- Ruben Slum, Nairobi, contact through Little Sisters of St. Francis in Kasarani,
- Immaculate conception Dispensary Kapnyeberai, P.O. Box 538, Kapsabet – 30300
- Little Sisters of St. Francis, Kaplomboi, P:O: Box 74, Ndani
- in Elburgon
Several times a week we go for mobile treatments in remote areas. After these treatments the patients have the possibility of visiting a dental unit in order to receive further treatment.
Handing over responsibility
Many of our dental units are continuously served by Kenyan Oral Health Workers and specialized assistance staff. It is our goal to improve the training and qualification of our kenyan co-workers through an intense cooperation.
Furthermore we support three Franciscan Sisters with their studies of dentistry. Our first dentisty student, Sr.Fabian, has finished her education in 2013. After serving her obligational apprenticeship in government hospitals she will take over responsibility for our dental units step by step.
How we help you to help
You can support our Dental Project if you are a dentist, an oral health worker, a dental hygienist or a dental assistant if you have completed your education. People with other kinds of medical trainings also have the possibility to contribute.
After getting in contact with our organisation we will coordinate place, time and duration of your assistance service together. Please plan for at least two weeks. You will receive information about everything you will have to take into account and take care of in advance of your trip.
If you have any further questions concerning Dentists for Africa or if you are interested in helping, please use our contact form.